Miri Cohen received BSW in Social Work from Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Israel in 1973 and MSW from Haifa University in 1986. Received her PhD in 2000 from the Faculty of Medicine, the Technion, Israel in the area of psycho-neuro-immunology. Between the years 2006- March 2012 she served as the head of the Gerontology Department and between the years 2015-2019 she served as the head of the School of Social Work, University of Haifa.
She is the president of the Israel Psycho-Oncology Society, a board member of the Israeli Oncology Council, a board member of the Journals Psycho-Oncology and The journal of Research in Social Work Practice and a former Associate Editor of Quality of Life Research.
Miri Cohen was awarded various grants, including The Israel science Foundation, Israel Cancer Association and Müllerska Foundation and the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.
Main areas of research are Psycho-Neuro-Immunology (PNI), psycho-oncology, stress and coping and multicultural aspects of psycho-social and health care using advanced research methodologies.
My research examines various aspects of coping with stress and their implications for physical and mental health, physiological biomarkers, as well as health behaviors:
My research in psycho-neuro-immunology examines the complex processes between individual characteristics (eg, personal resilience, self-compassion, coping strategies) and immune functions, inflammatory measures, and heart rate variability.
The research in psycho-oncology examines characteristics of cancer survivors' coping, post-treatment symptom clusters in relation to immune parameters, as well as attempting to understand through qualitative research on processes of meaning and personal growth - across the lifespan and across various stages of cancer.
Another aspect of my research is examining the effects of culture on personal and family coping with cancer, as well as its effects on health behaviors and responsiveness to performing screening tests for early detection of cancer.
I also investigate elder abuse risk factors and work on developing tools for identifying the elderly suffering from or at risk of abuse.
Articles in Refereed Journals (selected list of recent publications)
- 52. Cohen,, & Numa, M. (2011). Posttraumatic growth in volunteer and non-volunteer breast cancer survivors. Psycho-Oncology, 20, 69-76.
- Cohen, M., Mabjish, A., & Zidan, J. (2011). Comparison of Arab Breast cancer survivors and healthy controls for spousal relationship, body image, and emotional distress. Quality of Life Research, 20, 191-198.
- Azaiza, F., Cohen, M., Daoud, F., & Awad, M. (2011). Traditional-Westernizing continuum of change in screening behaviors: Comparison between Arab women in Israel and the West Bank. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 128, 219-27.
- Duvdevani, I., Cohen, M., & Minsker, A. (2011). Psychological correlates of adherence to self-care, disease activity and functioning in persons with systemic lupus erythematosus. Lupus 20, 14-22.
- Cohen, M., Shanan-Altman, S. (2011). A cross cultural study of nursing aides’ attitudes to elder abuse in nursing homes. International Psychogeriatrics, 23, 1213-1221.
- Mizrachi, A., Nimrod, G., & Cohen, M. (2011). Online communities as a resource for coping with Alzheimer's disease. Gerontology, 38, 11-28. (Hebrew)
- Cohen, M. (2011). Screening for Elder Abuse: Modes of Screening. Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management, 18, 261-270.
- Cohen, M., Meir, T#., Klein, E., Volpin, G., Assaf, M., & Pollack, S. (2011). Cytokine levels as potential biomarkers for predicting the development of post-traumatic stress symptoms in casualties of accidents. International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine, 42, 117-131.
- Cohen, M., Gagin, R., Cinamon, T., Stein, T., Moscovitz, M., Kuten, A. (2012). Translating 'distress' and screening for emotional distress in multicultural cancer patients in Israel. Quality of Life Research, 21, 555-562.
- Kimron, L. & Cohen, M. (2012). Coping and emotional distress during acute hospitalization of older persons experiencing earlier trauma: The case of elderly Holocaust survivors. Quality of Life Research, 21, 783-794.
- Goldblatt, H., Cohen, M., Azaiza, F., & Ramon, M. (2012). Being Within or Being Between? The Cultural Context of Arab Women's Experience of Coping with Breast Cancer in Israel. Psycho-Oncology, 22, 869-75.
- Freund, A. Cohen, M., & Azaiza, F. (2014). The Doctor is Just a Messenger: Beliefs of Ultraorthodox Jewish Women in Regard to Breast Cancer and Screening. Journal of Religion & Health, 53, 1075–1090.
- Cohen, M. (2013). The association of cancer patients' emotional suppression and their self-rating of psychological distress on short screening tools. Behavioral Medicine, 39,29-35.
- Cohen M. (2014). An integrated view of cultural perceptions of cancer among Arab people in Israel. Health Psychology Review, 8, 490-508.
- Cohen, M. (2013). The process of validation of a three-dimensional model for the identification of abuse in older adults. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 57, 243-249.
- Cohen, M. (2014). Depression, anxiety and somatization in older cancer patients: A comparison across age groups. Psycho-Oncology,23, 151-157.
- +Cohen, M., Volpin, G., Meir, T#., Klein, E., Katz, R., Assaf, S., & Pollack, S. (2013). Possible association of Toll-like receptor 9 polymorphisms with cytokine levels and posttraumatic symptoms in individuals with various types of orthopaedic trauma: Early findings. Injury, 44, 1625-1629.
- Shinan-Altman, S., Werner, P. Cohen, M. (2014). Social Workers’ and Nurses’ Illness Representations about Alzheimer’s disease: An Exploratory Study. Alzheimer Disease & Associated Disorders 28(1), 73-78.
- Cohen, M., Baziliansky, S.#, & Benny, A. (2014). The meditational role of resilience linking age to emotional distress in individuals with colorectal cancer. Journal of Geriatric Oncology, 5, 33-39.
- Yagil, D., Cohen, M., & Beer, J. (2013). Older adults' coping with the stress involved in the use of everyday technologies. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 35, 131-149.
- Khalaila, R., Cohen, M., & Zidan, J. (2013). Is salivary pH a marker of depression among older spousal caregivers for cancer patients? Behavioral Medicine, 40, 71-80.
- Cohen, M. Granger, S., & Fuller-Thomson, E., (2015). The association between bereavement and biomarkers for inflammation. Behavioral Medicine, 41, 49-59.
- Volpin, G., Cohen, M., Assaf, M. (2014). Cytokine Levels (IL-4, IL-6, IL-8 and TGFβ) as Potential Biomarkers of Systemic Inflammatory Response in Trauma Patients. International Orthopaedics, 38, 1303–1309.
- Gouzman, J#., Cohen, M., and Ben-Zur, H. (2015). The mediating role of positive and negative affect and posttraumatic growth in the relations between resilience and psycho-social adjustment and health behaviors in Digestive-System Cancer Patients. Hevra Verevacha, 35, 231-260 (Hebrew).
- Baziliansky, S. Cohen, M., Benny, A. (2013). Resilience and distress in younger and older cancer patients. Gerontology, 40, 65-80 (Hebrew).
- Levkovitz, I., Cohen, M., Dromea, K., Fired, G., & Pollack, S. (2015). Cancer related fatigue, depression and optimism in cancer patients post. Hevra Verevacha 35, 117-141 (Hebrew).
- Cohen, M., & Khaliala, R. (2014). Saliva pH as a biomarker of exam stress and a predictor of exam performance. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 77, 420-425.
- Abu-Jabel, H. & Cohen, M., Letzter-Pouw, S. (2015). The association of self-regulation and depression in Arab and Jewish older adults. Gerontology, 42, 59-80 (Hebrew).
- Livak, M. & Cohen, M. (2014). Distress and sleep problems in older breast cancer survivors. Gerontology, 41, 11-30 (Hebrew).
- Levkovitz, I., Cohen, M., Pollack, S., Drumea, K., & Fried G. (2014). Cancer related fatigue and depression in breast cancer patients post-chemotherapy: Different associations with optimism and stress appraisals. Palliative and Supportive Care, 13, 1141-1151.
- Ben-Zur, H., Cohen, M., Gouzman, J. (2015). Posttraumatic Growth Moderates the Effects of Posttraumatic Stress Symptoms on Adjustment and Positive Affective Reactions in Digestive-System Cancer Patients. Psychology, Health & Medicine, 20, 685-696.
- Tourgeman, K., Doron, I., Cohen, M. (2015). Losing a Grandchild: The Mourning Experience of Grandparents. Death Studies, 39, 491-199.
- Gouzman, J, Cohen, M., Ben-Zur, H., Shaham-Shmueli, E., Aderka D., Beny A., Siegelmann-Daniel, N. (2015). Resilience, Positive and Negative Affect, Post-traumatic Growth and Psycho-Social Adjustment to Cancer. Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings, 20, 685-696.
- Shinan-Altman, S., Werner, P., & Cohen, M. (2015). The connection between illness representations of Alzheimer’s disease and burnout among social workers and nurses: A mixed-methods Investigation. Aging & Mental Health, 12, 1-10.
- Bar-Sela, G., Cohen, M., Ben-Arye, E., & Epelbaum, R. (2015). The medical use of wheatgrass: review of the gap between basic and clinical applications. Mini Reviews in Medical Chemistry, 15, 1002-1010.
- Belkić, K., Cohen, M., Wilczek, B., Andersson, S., Berman, A.H., Márquez, M,, Vukojević, V., & Mints, M. Imaging surveillance programs for women at high breast cancer risk in Europe: Are women from ethnic minority groups adequately included? International Journal of Oncology, 47, 817-839.
- Khalaila R, Cohen M. (2015). Emotional suppression, caregiving burden, mastery, coping strategies and mental health in spousal caregivers. Aging & Mental Health, 16, 1-10. (IF=2.350, R=32/49 Geriatrics & Gerontology, 88/142 Psychiatry, Q3)
- Shasha, T., Palgi, Y., & Cohen, M. (2015) . A comparison of the levels of posttraumatic growth and resilience among Holocaust survivors and comparison group, and their transmission to the second and third generations. Gerontology and Geriatrics, 42(2), 33-54. (Hebrew).
- 9 Rottenberg R, Ratzon NZ, Jacobs JM, Cohen M, Peretz, T, De Boer AGEM. (2015) Unemployment risk and income change after testicular cancer diagnosis: a population based study. Urologic Oncology, 34(1), 5.e27-33. 2.768; 111/211;0.
- Goldblatt H., Cohen, M., & Azaiza, F. (2016). Expression of emotions related to the experience of cancer in younger and older Arab breast cancer survivors. Ethnicity & Health, 19, 1-14.
- Rottenberg, Y., Jacobs, J.M., Ratzon, N.Z,, Grinshpun, A., Cohen, M., Uziely, B., de Boer, A.G. (2017). Unemployment Risk and Decreased Income Two and Four Years After Thyroid Cancer Diagnosis: A Population-Based Study. Journal of Cancer Survivorship, 11, 119-125.
- Krichli, E., Coehn, M., Betal M. Psychological distress, optimism and inflammatory markers in individuals awaiting cardiac catheterization. Society & Welfare (Hebrew).
- Freund, A., Cohen, M., & Azaiza, F. (2017). Factors associated with routine screening for the early detection of breast cancer in faith-based communities. Ethnicity & Health, 24, 527-543.
- Freund, A., Cohen, M., & Azaiza, F. (2016). A culturally tailored intervention for promoting breast cancer screening among women from faith-based communities in Israel: A randomized controlled study. Research on Social Work Practice, https://doi.org/10.1177/1049731517741197
- Levkovich, I., Cohen, M., Karkabi, K. (2017). The experience of fatigue in breast cancer survivors 1-12 month post chemotherapy: A qualitative study. Journal of Cancer Survivorship, 45, 7-18.
- Yagil, D., Eshed-Lavi, N#., Carel, R., Cohen, M. (2018). Health care professionals' perspective on return to work in cancer survivors. Psycho-Oncology, 27, 1206-1212.
- Shinan-Altman, S., Cohen, M., Rasmussen, V., Turnell, A., Butow, P. (2017). Burnout among psychosocial oncologists in Israel: The direct and indirect effects of job demands and job resources. Palliative & Supportive Care, 16, 677-684.
- Yagil D, Eshed-Lavi N#, Carel R, Cohen M. (2019). Return to Work of Cancer Survivors: Predicting Healthcare Professionals' Assumed Role Responsibility. Journal of Occupational Rehabilitation, 29, 443-450.
- Samuel L, Cohen M. (2018). Expressive suppression and emotional eating in older and younger adults: An exploratory study. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 78, 127-131. doi: 10.1016/j.archger.2018.06.012.
- 101. Levkovich I, Cohen M, Alon S, Kuchuk I, Nissenbaum B, Evron E, Pollack S, Fried G. (2018). Symptom cluster of emotional distress, fatigue and cognitive difficulties among oung and older breast cancer survivors: The mediating role of subjective stress. Journal of Geriatric Oncology, 9(5):469-475. doi: 10.1016/j.jgo.2018.05.002.
- 102. Yagil D, Goldblatt H, Cohen M. (2018). Dyadic resources in the return to work of cancer survivors: exploring supervisor-employee perspectives. Disability and Rehabilitation, 41, 2151-2158.
- Greenblatt Kimron, L., Marai, I., Lorber, A., & Cohen, M. (2019). The long-term effects of early-life trauma on psychological, physical and physiological health among the elderly: the study of Holocaust survivors. Aging & Mental Health, 23, 1340-1349.
- de Rijk A, Amir Z, Cohen M, Furlan T, Godderis L, Knezevic B, Miglioretti M, Munir F, Popa AE, Sedlakova M, Torp S, Yagil D, Tamminga S, de Boer A. (2019). The challenge of return to work in workers with cancer: employer priorities despite variation in social policies related to work and health. J Cancer Surviv. doi: 10.1007/s11764-019-00829-y. [Epub ahead of print]
- Greenblatt-Kimron L, Cohen M. (2019). The role of cognitive processing in the relationship of posttraumatic stress symptoms and depression among older Holocaust survivors: a moderated-mediation model. Anxiety Stress Coping. 2019 Sep 24:1-16. doi: 10.1080/10615806.2019.1669787. [Epub ahead of print]
- Yagil D, Eshed-Lavi N, Carel R, Cohen M. (2019). Return to Work of Cancer Survivors: Predicting Healthcare Professionals' Assumed Role Responsibility. J Occup Rehabil, 29(2):443-450. doi: 10.1007/s10926-018-9807-5.
- Hakim J, Volpin G, Amashah M, Alkeesh F, Khamaisy S, Cohen M, Ownallah J. (2019). Long-term outcome of total knee arthroplasty in patients with morbid obesity. Int Orthop. 2019 Aug 2. doi: 10.1007/s00264-019-04378-y. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cohen M, Levkovich I, Pollack S, Fried G.(2019). Stability and change of postchemotherapy symptoms in relation to optimism and subjective stress: A prospective study of breast cancer survivors. Psycho-Oncology. 2019 Oct;28(10):2017-2024. doi: 10.1002/pon.5185. Epub 2019 Aug 21.
Edited Books and Special Journal Issues – Published
- Azaiza, F., Nahmiash, N., & Cohen, M. (eds.) (2010). Social, Health and Education Services in Times of Emergency. Haifa: Pardes. (299 pp)
- 2. Cohen, M., & Golander, H. (2010) (Invited editors for a special issue). Teaching gerontology A. Gerontology, 37, 1, p. 1-150 (Hebrew).
- Cohen, M., & Golander, H. (2010) (Invited editors for a special issue). Teaching gerontology B. Gerontology, 37, 2, p. 1-160 (Hebrew).
- Prilutzky, D., & Cohen, M. Practical Gerontology. ESHEL (577 pp)
Chapters in Scientific Books
- Cohen, M., & Pollack, S. (2006). Perceptions, coping, and immune functions in women with familial risk of breast cancer. In Lee (Ed.): Coping with disease. (pp. 175-202). New York: Nova science.2. Cohen, M., & Azaiza, F. (2008). Beliefs, facilitators and barriers to screenings for early detection of breast cancer among Arab Women. In R.W. Pierce R.I. Schwartz. New perspective on knowledge, attitudes and practices in health (pp. 259-271). New York: Nova Science.
- 3. Cohen, M., & Azaiza, F. (2009). Promoters and barriers to screening for breast cancer among Arab women. In R. Herz-Lazarovitz, H. Abu-Baker, & Ganem (Eds.), Arab women in Israel: present state and view to the future (pp. 151-162). Tel Aviv, Israel: Ramot. (Hebrew)
- Cohen, M., & Yahav, R. (2010). Acute stress symptoms in citizens of Northern and central Israel and in Jewish and Arabs during the Second Lebanon war. In F. Azaiza, N. Nahmiash, & M. Cohen (Eds.), Social, health and education services in times of emergency (pp. 77-94). Haifa, Israel: Pardes.
- Cohen, M. (2010). Who is more stressed? Responses of older, middle aged and younger Israeli citizens to the Second Lebanon War. In F. Azaiza, N. Nahmiash, & M. Cohen (Eds.), Social, health and education services in times of emergency (pp. 183-198). Haifa, Israel: Pardes.
- Cohen, M. (2013). Multicultural aspects of care for cancer patients in Israel. In: A. Surbone, M. Zwitter , M. Rajer & R. Stiefel (Eds.), New challenges in communication with cancer patients (317-332). New York, NY: Springer.
- Cohen, M. (2013). Fatalism and cancer: Attitudes toward Screening and Care. In B. Carr & J. Steel (Eds.), Psychological aspects of cancer (88-99.). New York, NY: Springer.
- Levkovitz, I., & Cohen, M. Bio-psycho-social aspects of cancer in the old age. In D. Prilutzky & M. Cohen (in press), Practical gerontology. Jerusalem: ESHEL (pp.193-236).