I am an occupational therapist, a lecturer and a researcher in the field of mental health. I have completed my PhD in occupational therapy at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. The focus of my PhD study was on the subject of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in adults, the cognitive and functional implications of the disorder on their lives and the efficacy of computerized cognitive intervention. I did my post-doctoral research at King's College London (UK), with the support of the "Haruv Institute" post-doctorate fellowship, an institute which focuses on the topic of child abuse and neglect. I have joined a large study group working on the Environmental Risk (E-Risk) Longitudinal Twin Study, which follows the development of 2,232 British children. I kept researching the area of ADHD together with maltreatment and emotional problems. Alongside my research work, I was working as an occupational therapist and the head of occupational therapy services in the department of adult psychiatry at Hadassah Medical Center in Jerusalem. The focus of my clinical work was on occupational therapy for adults with various psychiatric disorders. I found that my clinical work enriches my research and teaching, and vice-versa. My current focus in research is on occupational therapy in mental health in general, and more specifically on ADHD and eating disorders. In addition, in collaboration with the “Haruv Institute”, I continue to study the subject of abuse and neglect.
a. Papers in Peer Reviewed Journals
- Rotenberg-Shpigelman, S., Rappaport, R., Stern, A., Hartman-Maeir, A. (2008). Content validity and internal consistency reliability of the Behavior Rating Inventory of Executive Function- Adult Version (BRIEF-A) in Israeli adults with Attention Deficit /Hyperactivity Disorder. The Israeli Journal of Occupational Therapy, 17 (2), H77-H96.
- Stern, A., Pollack, Y., Yakir, A., & Maeir, A. (2012). A Pilot Study of Computerized Cognitive Training in Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: Change in Executive Functions and Quality of Life Following 3 Months of Training Using the AttenGo™ Program. The Israeli Journal of Occupational Therapy, 21(4), E79-E104.
- Stern, A., Pollack, Y., Bonne, O., Malik, E., & Maeir, A. (2013). The Relationship between Executive Functions and Quality of Life in Adults with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Journal of Attention Disorders, 1-8. DOI: 10.1177/1087054713504133.
- Stern, A., Malik, E., Pollack, Y., Bonne, O., & Maeir, A. (2014). The Efficacy of Computerized Cognitive Training in Adults with ADHD: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Attention Disorders, 1-13. DOI: 10.1177/1087054714529815.
- Stern, A., & Maeir, A. (2014). Validating the Measuring of Executive Functions in Occupational Context for Adults with Attention- Deficit/ Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). The American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 68(6), 719-728. doi: 10.5014/ajot.2014.012419.
- Stern, A., Agnew-Blais, J.C, Danese, A., Fisher, H.L., Jaffee, S.R., Matthews, T., Polanczyk, G., & Arseneault L. (2018). Associations between abuse/neglect and ADHD from childhood to young adulthood: A prospective nationally-representative twin study. Child Abuse & Neglect, 81, 274-285. doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2018.04.025.
- Stern, A., Agnew-Blais, J., Danese, A., Fisher, H.L., Matthews, T., Polanczyk, G., Wertz, J., & Arseneault, L. (online). Associations between ADHD and emotional problems from childhood to young adulthood: A longitudinal genetically-sensitive study. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. org/10.1111/jcpp.13217
b. Development of assessment tools (Patents)
Translation, adaptation and validation of assessments for use in Israel:
- Hartman-Maeir, A., Stern, A. & Pollak, Y. Official Hebrew Version (2007) The Adult ADHD Quality of Life Scale by Brod, Johnston, Able & Swindle, 2006.
- Hartman-Maeir, A., Stern, A. & Pollak, Y. Official Hebrew Version (2007) The Behavioral Rating Inventory of Executive Functions – Adult version by Roth, Isquith, & Gioia, 2005.
- Lavi, N., Verbin, A., & Stern A. Official Hebrew Version (2017) The Eating Disorder Global Evaluation (EDGE) by Jacob, 2017.