Yaara Zisman-Ilani (Sup. Prof. David Roe, Dr. Orit Karnieli-Miller),
Yaara Zisman-Ilani is an Assistant Professor at the College of Public Health, Temple University in Philadelphia, PA.
She is a Psychologist (M.A. Summa Cum Laude) with a Doctoral Degree in Community Mental Health.
Prior to Temple University, Yaara was a Rothschild Postdoctoral Fellow at The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice at Dartmouth College’s Medical School in Hanover, NH.
Current interests involved strategies to promote person-centered care, shared decision making and engagement methods, care management and care transition.
To date, her research has focused on the area of shared decision-making (SDM) in mental health, psychiatric rehabilitation and psychological aspects of pain.
SDM is the focus of Yaara's PhD study, in which she developed a new structured SDM intervention, implemented it in psychiatric hospitals and assessed its effectivity on several outcomes parameters. In addition to her PhD research, Yaara has been involved in numerous research projects to improve the recovery of people with severe mental illnesses and their integration in the community. These projects include implementing and assessing interventions, developing scales and tools to assess specific outcomes, longitudinal studies, etc. Yaara is also studying the role of personality characteristics and psychological tendencies in pain perception and modulation.
- Behavioral Health Sciences
- Community-based Treatment Interventions
- Engagement Methods
- Evidence-based Practice
- Health Education
- Health Communication
- Healthcare Delivery
- Mental Health
- Mental Health Service Systems
- Multiple Chronic Conditions
- Program Evaluation
- Rehabilitation Sciences
- Shared Decision Making
- Swarbrick, M., Roe, D., Yudof, J. & Zisman, Y. (2009). Participant perceptions of a peer delivered wellness and recovery education program. Occupational Therapy in Mental Health, 25, 312-324.
- Zisman-Ilani, Y., & Roe, D. (2010). Motherhood, intimacy, and sexuality among women with serious mental illness: Implications for practice and research. Society and Welfare, Quarterly for Social Work, L, 2, 239-256 (Hebrew).
- Zisman-Ilani, Y., & Roe, D. (2011). Psychiatric diagnosis: Developments, challenges and implications for the future. HOMESH, 23, pp. 5-13 (Hebrew).
- Granot, M., Zisman-Ilani, Y., Ram, E., Goldshtik, O., & Yovell, Y. (2011). Characteristics of attachment styles in women with provoked vestibulodynia. Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy, 37,1-16.
- Granot, M., Somer, E., Zisman-Ilani, Y., Beny, A., Sadger, R., Mirkin, R., Mont, R., & Yovell, Y. (2011). Characteristics of response to experimental pain in sexually abused women. The Clinical Journal of Pain, 27(7), 616-622.
- Davidson, L., Roe, D., Stern, E., Zisman-Ilani, Y., O'Connell, M., & Corrigan, P. (2012). If I choose it, am I more likely to use it? International Journal of Person Centered Medicine, 2(3), 577-592.
- Zisman-Ilani, Y., Roe, D., Flanagan, E. H., Rudnick, A., & Davidson, L. (2013). Psychiatric diagnosis: What the recovery movement can offer the DSM-5 revision process. Psychosis, 5(2), 144-153.
- Zisman-Ilani, Y., Levy-Frank, I., Hasson-Ohayon., I, Kravetz., S., Mashiach-Eizenberg, & Roe, D. (2013). Measuring the internalized stigma of parents of persons with a serious mental illness: The factor structure of the parents' internalized stigma of mental illness (PISMI) scale. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 201(3), 183-187.
- Pallaveshi, L., Zisman-Ilani, Y., Roe, D., & Rudnick, A. (2013). Psychiatric rehabilitation pertaining to health care environments: Facilitating skills and supports of people with mental illness in relation to their mental and physical health care. Current Psychiatry Reviews, 9(3), 214-259.
- Graber-Epstein, P., Zisman-Ilani, Y., Levine, S., & Roe, D. (2013). Comparative impact of professional mental health background on ratings of consumer outcome and fidelity in an illness management and recovery program. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal,36(4), 236-242.
- Roe, D., & Zisman-Ilani, Y. (2013). An "open table" for Society and Welfare, Quarterly for Social Work. A commentary on the paper by Nevo and Slonim-Nevo, titled: "The myth of evidence-based practice: towards evidence-informed practice" (Hebrew).
- Moran, G., Zisman-Ilani, Y., Graber-Epstein, P., & Roe, D. (2014). The psychometric properties of the Hebrew version of the Recovery-Promoting Relationship Scale (RPRS). Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal. 37(1), 31-36. doi: 10.1037/prj0000043.
- Karnieli-Miller, O., Zisman-Ilani, Y., Meitar, D., & Mekori, Y. (2014). The role of medical schools in promoting social accountability through shared decision-making. Israel Journal of Health Policy Research. 3(26). Doi:10.1186/2045-4015-3-26.
- Malka, T., Zisman-Ilani, Y., & Roe, D. (Accepted 2014). The Impact of the mother role among women with serious mental illness on their illness and recovery process: A systematic literature review. Society and Welfare, Quarterly for Social Work (Hebrew).
Zisman-Ilani, Y., Roe, D., Scholl, I., Härter, M., & Karnieli-Miller, O. (2017). Shared Decision-Making during Active Psychiatric Hospitalization: Assessment and Psychometric Properties, Health Communication, 32(1):126-130.Zisman-Ilani, Y., Hasson-Ohayon., I., Levy-Frank, I., Tuval-Mashiach, R., & Roe., D. (2017). Self-stigma, Insight and Family Burden among Israeli Mothers of People with Severe Mental Illness: Ethno-national Considerations. Transcultural Psychiatry, 54(3), 423–441.
Karmieli-Miller, O., Miron-Shatz, T., Siegal., G., & Zisman-Ilani, Y. (2017). On the Verge of Implementing Shared Decision Making in Israel: An Overview and Future Directions. Zeitschrift für Evidenz, Fortbildung und Qualität im Gesundheitswesen (The Journal of Evidence and Quality in Health Care), 123–124, 56–60.
Zisman-ilani, Y., Gorbenko, K., Shern, D., & Elwyn, G. (2017). Comparing Digital vs. Paper Decision Aids Concerning Antipsychotic Medication: Patient, Clinician, Caregiver and Administrator Perspectives. International Journal of Person Centered Medicine, 7(1), 21–30.
Ramon, S., Zisman-Ilani., Y., & Kaminsky, E. (2017). Shared Decision Making in Mental Health. Mental Health Review Journal, 22(3), 149–151.
Zisman-Ilani, Y., Barnett, E., Harik, J., Pavlo, A., & O’Connell, M. (2017). Expanding the Concept of Shared Decision Making for Mental Health: A Systematic and Scoping Review of Interventions. Mental Health Review Journal, 22(3), 191–213.
Perestelo-Perez, L., Rivero-Santana, A., Alvarez-Perez, Y., Zisman-Ilani, Y., Kaminskiy, E., & Serrano-Aguilar, P. (2017). Measurement Issues of Shared Decision Making in Mental Health: Challenges and Opportunities. Mental Health Review Journal, 22(3), 214–232.
Zisman-Ilani, Y., Roe, D., Elwyn, G., Kupermintz, H., Patya,N., Peleg, I., & Karnieli-Miller, O. (2018). Shared Decision Making for Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services before Discharge from Psychiatric Hospitals. Health Communication, 1–7.
Granot, M., Yovell, Y., Somer,E., Beny, A., Sadger, R., Uliel-Mirkin, R., & Zisman-Ilani, Y. (2018). Trauma, Attachment Style, and Somatization: A Study of Women with Dyspareunia and Women Survivors of Sexual Abuse. BMC Women’s Health, 18(1), 29.
Scalia, P., Elwyn, G., Barr, P., Song, J., Zisman-Ilani, Y., Lesniak, M., Mullin, S., Kurek, K., Bushell, M., & Durand, M.A. (2018). Exploring the Use of Option Grid™ Patient Decision Aids in a Sample of Clinics in Poland. Zeitschrift für Evidenz, Fortbildung und Qualität im Gesundheitswesen (The Journal of Evidence and Quality in Health Care), 134, 1–8.
Zisman-Ilani, Y., Shern, D., Deegan, P., Kreyenbuhl, J., Dixon, L., Drake, R., Torrey, W., Mishra, M., Gorbenko, K.,& Elwyn, G. (2018). Continue, Adjust, or Stop Antipsychotic Medication: Developing and User Testing an Encounter Decision Aid for People with First-Episode and Long-Term Psychosis. BMC Psychiatry, 18(1), 142.
Barnett, E., Concepcion-Zayas, M., Zisman-Ilani, Y., Bellonci, C. (2019). Patient-Centered Psychiatric Care for Youth in Foster Care: A Systematic and Critical Review. Journal of Public Child Welfare, 13(4), 462-489
Storm, M., Lunde Husebø. A. M., Thomas, E., Elwyn, G., & Zisman-Ilani, Y. (2019). Coordinating Mental Health Services for People with Serious Mental Illness: A Scoping Review of Transitions from Psychiatric Hospital to Community. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 46(3), 352-367.
Barr, P. J., Forcino, R. C., Dannenberg, M. D., Mishra, M., Turner, E., Zisman-Ilani, Y., Matthews, J., Hinn, M., Bruce, M., & Elwyn, G. (2019). Healthcare Options for People Experiencing Depression (HOPE* D): The Development and Pilot Testing of an Encounter-Based Decision Aid for Use in Primary Care. BMJ Open, 9(4), e025375.
Thomas, E.C., Zisman-Ilani, Y., & Salzer, M.S. (2019). Self-Determination and Choice in the Context of Mental Health Services: Qualitative Insights from a Study of Self-Directed Care. Psychiatric Services, 70(9), 801-807.
Mazel, S., Hennig, S., Zisman-Ilani, Y., & Nicholson, J. (2019). Mothers, Mental Health and Opioids: Engaging with Researchers@ research4moms.com. Journal of Parent and Family Mental Health, 4(1), 1.
Wieringa, T. H., Rodriguez-Gutierrez, R., Spencer-Bonilla, G., de Wit, M., Ponce, O. J., Sanchez-Herrera, M. F., Espinoza, N.R., Zisman-Ilani, Y., Kunneman, M., Schoonmade, L.J., Montori, V. M., & Snoek, F. J. (2019). Decision Aids That Facilitate Elements of Shared Decision Making in Chronic Illnesses: A Systematic Review. Systematic Reviews, 8(1), 121.
Koliani-Pace, J. L., Haron, A. M., Zisman-Ilani, Y., Thompson, K. D., & Siegel, C. A. (2020). Patients Perceive Biologics to Be Riskier and More Dreadful Than Other IBD Medications. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. 26(1), 141-146.
Fortuna, K.L., Naslund, J.A. ,LaCroix, J.M., Bianco, C.L., Brooks, J.M., Zisman-Ilani, Y., Muralidharan, A., & Deegan, P. (2020). Systematic Review of Peer-Supported Digital Mental Health Interventions for People with a Lived Experience of a Serious Mental Illness. JMIR: Mental Health, 7(4), e16460. doi: 10.2196/16460.
Zisman-Ilani, Y., Obeidat, R., Fang, L., Kim, Y.S., Hsieh, S., & Berger, Z. (2020). Shared decision making and patient-centered care in Israel, Jordan, and the US: An exploratory and comparative study of physician perceptions (2020). JMIR: Formative Research. 4(8):e18223
Nagata, S., McCormick, B., Brusilovskiy, E., Zisman-Ilani, Y., Wilson, S., Snethen, G., Townley, G., & Salzer, M. (2020). Emotional States Associated with Being in the Community and Being with Others among Individuals with Serious Mental Illnesses. The American journal of orthopsychiatry, 10.1037/ort0000516.
Ostrow, L., Kaplan, K., Zisman-Ilani, Y., Brusilovskiy, E., Smith, C., & Salzer, M.S. (2020). Risk Factors Associated with Child Protective Service Involvement Among Parents with A Serious Mental Illness. Psychiatric Services. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.202000036
Muñoz-Laboy, M., Bamford, L., Benitez, J., Zisman-Ilani, Y., Ripkin, A., Del Castillo, L., Esteves-Camacho, T., de la Cruz, M., & Katumkeeryil, E. (2020). "En la Lucha": Strategies to Improve HIV Care for Puerto Ricans with Opioids Use Disorders. Journal of immigrant and minority health, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10903-020-01091-6
Zisman-Ilani, Y., Fasing, K., Weiner, M., Rubin, D.J. (2020). Exercise capacity is associated with hospital readmission among patients with diabetes. BMJ Open Diabetes Research and Care. 8:e001771. doi: 10.1136/bmjdrc-2020-001771.
Roe, D., Mashiach–Eizenberg, M., Garber Epstein, P., Yamin, A., Hoter Ishay, G. & Zisman-Ilani, Y. (2020). Implementation of NAVIGATE for first episode psychosis in Israel: Clients’ characteristics, program utilization, and ratings of change. Early Intervention in Psychiatry. https://doi.org/10.1111/eip.13055
Salyers, M.P., & Zisman-Ilani, Y. (2020). Shared Decision-Making and Self-Directed Care. In: H.H. Goldman, R. Frank, & J. Morrissey (Eds). The Palgrave Handbook of American Mental Health Policy. Palgrave MacMillan. https://doi.org/10.1007/978–3–030–11908–9_8
- Zisman-Ilani, Y., Karnieli-Miller, O., & Roe, D. Shared Decision-Making in Psychiatric Rehabilitation. The first psychiatric rehabilitation conference in Israel. The National School of Rehabilitation, Ono Academic College, Kiryat-Ono, Israel and the Mental Health Rehabilitation Unit, Israel Ministry of Health. October 21, 2014.
- Zisman-Ilani, Y., Roe, D., & Karnieli-Miller, O. Different Views: the Gaps between Clinicians’ and Patients’ Perceptions about SDM Practices. The 2014 American Academy on Communication in Healthcare (AACH) Research and Teaching Forum: Enhancing Patient Experience through Healthcare Communication Research and Teaching. October 17-19, 2014, Orlando, FL, USA.
- Zisman-Ilani, Y., & Karnieli-Miller, O. From Theory to Practice: Facilitating Shared Decision-Making in Psychiatric Hospitals. The Refocus on Recovery 2014 international conference, King's College London, UK. June 2-3, 2014.
- Zisman-Ilani, Y. Shared Decision-Making in Mental Health: Development and Assessment of a New Intervention. The Israel National Institute for Health Policy Research (NIHP): Annual Research Conference. Tel Aviv, Israel. May 21, 2014.
- Zisman-Ilani, Y. Implementing Shared Decision Making (SDM) as Part of the First Phase of Care Planning within the Israeli Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services. XXXIII International Congress on Law and Mental Health Under the auspices of: International Academy of Law and Mental Health (IALMH). Amsterdam, The Netherlands. July 14–19, 2013.